1凡人:2004/10/05(火) 06:13
通貨日本語訳

$10,000,000

the $10 million Prize
賞金1000万ドル(約11億円)

35凡人:2012/06/02(土) 03:16:08
11 words adults just can't spellBy Jonathan Anker
11:34 AM EDT, Fri June 01, 2012

While viewers and contestants of this year's National Spelling Bee fixated on the fine points of spelling 'tchotchke' or the etymology of 'maculature' (it's French, from Latin), perhaps it would be a good time for many of us to lower our sights a little bit and focus on some of the words we use and type every day -- and almost always misspell.

Such as, 'misspell.'

Because while you can reasonably expect to never have to type the word 'preprandial', how many times have you second-guessed yourself while spelling out 'accommodate'? Or 'maintenance'? These are the kind of words we actually need to know -- and the ones that tend to humiliate us on a weekly basis.

So never mind what those 13-year-old future bosses of yours were spelling at the bee. Here are 11 words that many adult screws up, presented for you in standard spelling bee form.

The word is: Occasion
Can you use it in a sentence? Finally, an occasion to address all these words we always stumble on.
Is it o-c-c-a-s-s-i-o-n? // ::buzzer::

The word is: Fiery
Can you use it in a sentence? Tim Duncan is the opposite of fiery.
Is it f-i-r-e-y? // ::ding::

The word is: Embarrassed
Can you use it in a sentence? I was so embarrassed I spelled embarrass wrong, even though it had a red, squiggly line underneath when I typed it in Word.
Is it e-m-b-a-r-a-s-s? // ::horn::

The word is: Restaurant
Can you use it in a sentence? Apparently Mark Zuckerberg didn't tip very well at that restaurant on his Italian honeymoon.
Is it r-e-s-t-a-r-a-u-n-t? // ::gong::

The word is: Vacuum
Can you use it in a sentence? The next time ESPN airs an offbeat competition will be July 4, when human vacuum Joey Chestnut eats 55 hot dogs.
Is it v-a-c-c-u-m? // ::whoopee cushion sound::

The word is: Loose
Can you use it in a sentence? The owner of a gay bar says bachelorette parties are no longer welcome to cut loose there.
Is it l-o-s-e? // ::squish::

The word is: Daiquiri
Can you use it in a sentence? When at the beach this summer, a real man will order a strawberry daiquiri.
Is it d-a-q-u-i-r-i? // ::airhorn::

The word is: Independent
Can you use it in a sentence? There are lots of independent thoughts out there about how to spell this word and pretty much every one them is wrong.
Is it i-n-d-e-p-e-d-a-n-t? // ::wah-wah-waaahh::

The word is: Recommend
Can you use it in a sentence? I'd recommend this article to whoever made that Romney app.
Is it r-e-c-c-o-m-e-n-d? // ::The Price Is Right loser noise::

The word is: Separate
Can you use it in a sentence? The spelling bee should have a separate contest for the most over-the-top reactions.
Is it s-e-p-e-r-a-t-e? // ::Pac-Man dying sound::

The word is: Misspell
Can you use it in a sentence? Misspell has got to be the very worst word to misspell.
Is it m-i-s-p-e-l-l? // No.

36凡人:2012/06/03(日) 01:55:44
mad/headlong/frantic rush

A wild hurry, as in I was in a mad rush to get to the bank on time to cash my check , or Why the mad rush? We have lots of time before the concert starts . The use of in a rush for "being in a hurry" dates from the second half of the 1800s, and mad , for "frenzied," serves merely as an intensifier.

37凡人:2012/06/03(日) 01:58:53
"Teflon tape"? It's not what you may think.
Did you know?

• Teflon® isn’t a thing — it’s a brand! A world famous brand that’s owned by DuPont.

• The DuPont™ Teflon® brand identifies products that are made with DuPont raw material(s), like fluoropolymer or industrial coatings. Over time, the tape has been mistakenly referred to as "Teflon tape". We thought it was important to let you know that.

• If somebody offers to sell you “Teflon tape” when you need plumber tape (or thread seal tape), they are wrong, mistaken or — worse — trying to mislead you. To help you make an informed purchase, you should be aware that no plumber tape is authorized by DuPont to be sold as “Teflon tape”.

• DuPont has brought thousands of meaningful innovations to people for more than 200 years, including many Teflon® branded products for consumers. Plumber tape is not one of these innovations.

Teflon® is a registered trademark of DuPont.

38凡人:2012/06/03(日) 11:35:22
An eponym is the name of a person or thing, whether real or fictitious, after which a particular place, tribe, era, discovery, or other item is named or thought to be named.[citation needed] One who is referred to as eponymous is someone who gives his or her name to something, e.g., Julian, the eponymous owner of the famous restaurant Julian's Castle. Another term for eponym is namegiver.

In contemporary English, the term self-titled is often used to mean eponymous in the case of a work with the same name as the person or persons who created it.[citation needed] An etiological myth can be a "reverse eponym" in the sense that a legendary character is invented in order to explain a term. This is one example of folk etymology.

39凡人:2012/06/04(月) 23:58:44
patsy:
1. scapegoat. red herring. person accused of a something as a cover for a bigger more elaborate crime.
Oswald was a patsy in the Kennedy assassination.
buy patsy mugs & shirtsby s: Oct 19, 2004 share this add a video

2.The guy that always takes the fall! A loser!! The nice guy that finishes last everytime...
Also used when describing a weak minded man who lets his girlfriend/ wife walk all over him.
"Baz is such patsy, he's taken her back again even though she sucked that guys cock!" "yeah man, proper patsy"

40凡人:2012/06/05(火) 07:55:13
flit

1. A fluttering or darting movement; moving rapidly or quickly

2. A derogatory slang word for homosexual males popular in the '50s.

3. A form of transportation invented by Darren Shan in which vampires move their legs very quickly. It's not quite running and not quite flying.
a. The bees were flitting from flower to flower.
b. He acted like a little girl. I swear he's a flit.
c. The air rushed over my ears as Mr. Crepsley flitted to our next location.

41凡人:2012/06/06(水) 11:27:52
on the lam

1)laying low

2)running from the feds
She broke the law, now she's on the lam.

42凡人:2012/06/06(水) 11:32:31
caper

1. Older slang defining some sort of shady activity; usually illegal. shenanigans.

So tell us out the caper, boss.

2. to commit an act of robbery

Ay son i just pulled this caper on this white boy.

43凡人:2012/06/07(木) 12:20:06
under his belt

It means a person has already experienced or completed something.

1. Michael Jackson has many albums under his belt.

2. Michael Kors has many years in fashion under his belt.

44凡人:2012/06/07(木) 23:39:46
elicit:

1.Evoke or draw out (a response or fact) from someone by actions or questions: "their moves elicit exclamations of approval".

2.Draw forth (something that is latent or potential) into existence: "war elicits all that is bad in us".

45凡人:2012/06/08(金) 00:31:14
sashay

1.Walk in an ostentatious yet casual manner, typically with exaggerated movements of the hips and shoulders.

2.Perform the sashay.

46凡人:2012/06/08(金) 00:31:52
veritable

Adjective: Used as an intensifier, often to qualify a metaphor: "a veritable price explosion".

Synonyms: real - true - actual - genuine - very - authentic

47凡人:2012/06/08(金) 17:31:57
vig

1)tribute to a mafia boss.
2)a percent expected to be paid back from a loan.
3)the juice or cut to be lost or refunded(by winning) in gambling.

1)"Fats" wants the vig by next monday.
2)that loan shark "Shorts" wants his full payment back soon.
3)the vig on the mets, sox game is 10%.

48凡人:2012/06/10(日) 03:34:12
Tacit

Adjective;

1. Something implied but not expressed: understood or implied without being stated openly.

A tacit agreement.

2. Means silently understood, often comes up in the American standardized test, the SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test)

Tacit - SAT vocab!!

49凡人:2012/06/10(日) 04:08:10
Brindle is a coat coloring pattern in animals, particularly dogs, cats, cattle, guinea pigs, crested geckos and, rarely, horses. It is sometimes described as "tiger striped", although the brindle pattern is more subtle than that of a tiger's coat. The streaks of color are irregular and usually darker than the base color of the coat, although very dark markings can be seen on a coat that is only slightly lighter.

50凡人:2012/06/11(月) 01:52:34
Riposte -

1. : a fencer's quick return thrust following a parry.
2. : a retaliatory verbal sally : retort.
3. : a retaliatory maneuver or measure.

In fencing, the riposte (French for "retort") is an offensive action with the intent of hitting one's opponent, made by the fencer who has just parried an attack.

51凡人:2012/06/11(月) 17:51:41
Fugly

shorter word for "fucking ugly"

oh shit that girl is fugly

52凡人:2012/06/12(火) 03:07:10
war·ble 1 (wôrbl)
v. war·bled, war·bling, war·bles
v.tr.
To sing (a note or song, for example) with trills, runs, or other melodic embellishments.
v.intr.
1. To sing with trills, runs, or quavers.
2. To be sounded in a trilling or quavering manner.
n.
The act or an instance of singing with trills, runs, or quavers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English werbelen, from Old North French werbler, of Germanic origin.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
war·ble 2 (wôrbl)
n.
a. An abscessed boillike swelling on the back of cattle, deer, and certain other animals, caused by the larva of a warble fly.
b. The warble fly, especially in its larval stage.
2. A hard lump of tissue on a riding horse's back caused by rubbing of the saddle.
[Probably of Scandinavian origin; akin to obsolete Swedish varbulde.]

53凡人:2012/06/14(木) 15:43:38
sare

the most wonderful friend you could ever have. puts everybody else before herself, and is loyal to the end. she is funny and lovely.
i really miss sare. she was the best friend i ever had.

54凡人:2012/06/25(月) 16:24:30
Hoity Toity

A person whom assumes that they are above you in any way without cause or reason. This person normally has to find flaws in others to make them feel better. They really enjoy labels are always made up.

Jennifer just bout a D&G bag - She acts a little too hoity toity for me.....

55凡人:2012/06/29(金) 08:15:15
Staying simple. Kendrys Morales has a nice approach with runners on base. He seems to concentrate on making contact and hitting the ball up the middle. The Angels gave him all sorts of opportunities and he came through, going 3-for-5 and driving in four runs. If he's going to bat ahead of Mark Trumbo, it helps to have this kind of production. The key for this offense is depth. Pitchers can't catch their breath.

56凡人:2012/07/02(月) 15:41:23
off-putting

1. distressing, unsettling
2. annoying
3. repellent, disgusting

He wore an off-putting hat with his tattered pants and stained shirt.

57凡人:2012/07/02(月) 15:42:23
Toofer

A person who fulfills multiple minority capacities in any realm. Having two or more of these common features: physical/mental disabilities, being a woman or ethnic minority
In the show 30 Rock, James Spurlock, his nickname is "Toofer" because "with him you get a two-for-one; he's a black guy and a Harvard guy." (Jack Donaghy)

Connie Rubirosa in Law & Order

Brenda Johnson in the Closer

58凡人:2012/07/08(日) 01:17:58
harp on - dwell upon , ramble , dwell on , stress , drum into , pester , beat a dead horse , nag , bother , harp upon , disturb , dwell on/dwell upon

59凡人:2012/07/08(日) 01:21:20
The goose step is a special marching step usually performed on formal military parades and other ceremonies. While marching in parade formation, troops swing their legs in unison high off the ground, while keeping their knees locked.

Originating in Prussian military drill in the mid-18th century, the step was called the Stechschritt (literally, "piercing step") or Stechmarsch. Although "goose step" is a pejorative term in English, it is used officially by the armed forces of the nearly 30 countries that maintain the tradition.

60凡人:2012/07/15(日) 10:23:08
BITING TONGUE

Adjective used to describe when someone's words are exceptionally hurtful, cruel, or insensitive. Applied to a situation/remarks through ownership: your, his, her ; "Your biting tongue," "he has a biting tongue."

Definition of 'BITING' as an adjective: vicious, harsh, cruel, savage, cutting, sharp, bitter, scathing, caustic, acid, acrimonious, acerbic, stinging; vitriolic, hostile, spiteful, venomous, mean, nasty; informal bitchy, catty. ANTONYMS mild, gentle.

"When provoked, he had a biting tongue."

"Her biting tongue became more vicious after a few beers."

"Your biting tongue caused an uncomfortable atmosphere after your argument with the waiter."

61凡人:2012/07/22(日) 07:21:50
Laura Jones
When will liberals finally understand that guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns got nothing to do with it, k?

Eva Wallace
Speaking as a liberal, I would like to point out that we don't all think that way.

Jennifer Lewis · Culinary/Nutrition Teacher at Arapahoe High School
Explain to me how 72 people could be injured and 12 killed in 2 minutes without the help of guns, such an idiotic response.

Matt Lazko · Commerce, Michigan
Thank you Eva for pointing that out; I am too a liberal and don't think like that either.

62凡人:2012/07/23(月) 04:47:03
Kudos

1. To praise someone
2. A sarcastic way of saying "congratulations"

Example #1
Girl 1: I got an A+ !
Girl 2: Kudos to you!

Example #2
Boy 1: Guess what?? Hola is Hello in Spanish!
Boy 2: Kudos to you for figuring that out...

63凡人:2012/08/18(土) 10:24:47
Pound Sand

1a. To order someone to go away or "get lost." This is a widely used term that has no vulgar connotations.
One friend told another to pound sand when he questioned the veracity of the Old English Dictionary.

1b. Walk away (from the fact that each step requires one to press down the sand beneith one's feet; from Hawaiin slang)
Go pound sand.

2. "The origin of the expression go pound sand is from a longer expression, not to know (have enough sense to) pound sand down a rathole. Filling rat holes with sand is menial work, and telling someone to pound sand down a hole is like telling them to go fly a kite. The expression dates to at least 1912 and is common in the midwestern United States."

3. The term pound sand originally referred to the degrading job of filling rat holes with sand. However, its meaning has evolved, it now refers to a technique used in Vietnamese whore houses. This technique was used when the whores would give a man a hand job and then right before the man would ejaculate the whore would cap the penis, give it one hard pump, and then release it causing the man to ejaculate with such force that the it would hit the ceiling.
Hey, why don't you go pound sand!

64凡人:2012/08/21(火) 14:43:45
hock a loogie

To cough up and spit out a large glob of flem usually resulting in a loud cough and throat clearing noise.

On the bus, we saw a young man "hock a loogie". He spit the loogie on the ground near an agitated yuppie.

65凡人:2012/08/23(木) 11:59:28
heads up

1.Advance notice of something that will need attention.

Just a heads up that the customer is likely to escalate this problem...

2.A phrase which, upon hearing, means you should get your head down.

*man throwing baseball and missing the area, sending it on a direct course for a small child*
Man: Hey kid, heads up!

*Kid gets his head down and doesn't get hit*
Kid wins for reading urbandictionary.

66凡人:2012/08/24(金) 11:59:04
hokum

(n.) 1. Something apparently impressive or legitimate but actually untrue or insincere; nonsense. 2.
A stock technique for eliciting a desired response from an audience.

(n.) The cum of a ho.
Cindy thought that I was spouting hokum when I told her that I would make her scream. She was wrong; she threw me on the table and rode my throbbing cock until hokum started to leak out from her cunt and her moans became gasping screams of ecstasy.

67凡人:2012/08/27(月) 04:51:41
take a shine to somebody:

to like someone immediately

Amy took a shine to Nick, but her friends weren't so sure he was the right guy for her.

68凡人:2012/08/28(火) 12:04:50
Ersatz - Similar

Ersatz means 'substituting for, and typically inferior in quality to', e.g. 'chicory is ersatz coffee'. It is a German word literally meaning substitute or replacement.

69凡人:2012/08/29(水) 00:01:11
Romney credits her doctor’s aggressive treatment and the therapeutic effects of horseback riding as reasons for the “miraculous” recovery of much of her strength.

70凡人:2012/09/01(土) 14:43:17
cad

A cad is someone who can be quite charming, intelligent, capable of engaging in stimulating conversation, ultimately presenting himself as a gentlemen. A cad, however, is not a gentleman because he systematically cons lovely ladies into falling in love with him and then openly cheats on them. He is completely selfish with only feigned regard for women's feelings. Somewhat like a playboy but instead of being open about his philanderings, a cad usually pretends to care about a woman before coitus, thereby confusing the woman when he drops her like a hot potato. He is dishonest with most people around him (often even himself). Cads also frequently have addiction issues.

Dude 1: Is James Bond a cad?
Dude 2: Nah, at least the Bond Girls don't expect him to stick around and he doesn't pretend to make them feel special.

71凡人:2012/09/01(土) 17:12:52
pal·at·a·ble/Adjective:

1.(of food or drink) Pleasant to taste.
2.(of an action or proposal) Acceptable or satisfactory.

Synonyms: savoury - tasty - savory - toothsome - delicious - sapid

72凡人:2012/09/02(日) 11:16:03
wash

A cancelling-out or balancing effect. An incident where nothing is gained and nothing is lost, a draw.

I won fifty bucks at blackjack, but lost fifty in poker, so I called it a wash and went home.

73凡人:2012/09/04(火) 12:58:00
lachrymose

Adjective: 1.Tearful or given to weeping.
2.Inducing tears; sad: "a lachrymose children's classic".

Synonyms: tearful - lachrymatory

74凡人:2012/09/04(火) 14:45:14
Marquetry (also spelled as marqueterie) is the art and craft of applying pieces of veneer to a structure to form decorative patterns, designs or pictures.

75凡人:2012/09/06(木) 02:47:15
onus

Noun: Used to refer to something that is one's duty or responsibility: "the onus is on you to show that you have suffered".
Synonyms: burden - charge - responsibility - weight - liability

76凡人:2012/09/06(木) 17:04:13
boondoggle

1: a braided cord worn by Boy Scouts as a neckerchief slide, hatband, or ornament
2: a wasteful or impractical project or activity often involving graft
— boondoggle \ intransitive verb
— boondoggler \ noun

Examples
Critics say the dam is a complete boondoggle—over budget, behind schedule, and unnecessary.

Origin
coined by Robert H. Link †1957 American scoutmaster
First Known Use: 1929

77凡人:2012/09/07(金) 16:27:06
Bug Out

(Noun)  bug out, Slang. to flee in panic; show panic or alarm .Someone or something that is feeling nervouse , paranoied, or inattentive,usually freaking out for no reason, overly dramatic or over exaguarting

(Verb)  Someone or something that is doing that act of freaking out , acting upon paranoia.
Originated from the word Bug (noun)any insect or insectlike invertebrate,referring to the way an insect would appear,or act in movement, vibrations, indicating nervousness or Panic.

Man:Hey Whats up ?
Women: What do you mean by that, Are you trying to make fun of me, yes thats what your doing , your so mean , What have i ever done to you ?
Man: Holy shit, What a bug out, Why you Buggin i just said Whats up ? You have to chill, Your sucha a Bug out !!
Women:Sorry
Man: You Buggin!

78凡人:2012/09/08(土) 08:59:06
beau/bō/

Noun:
1.A boyfriend or male admirer.
2.A rich, fashionable young man; a dandy.

Synonyms: dandy - fop - lover - gallant

79凡人:2012/09/10(月) 07:54:34
caveat emptor

Caveat Emptor is latin for "let the buyer beware" and is the basic idea that a buyer should closely examine every item and purchase they make as if they are about to be ripped off, making purchasing safer.

I gave my credit card number to some website to purchase something and the owner charged up my card. Well, as they say; Caveat Emptor.

80凡人:2012/09/18(火) 15:29:42
ball buster

1) A woman (also affectionately called a bitch) who challenges the virility and dominance of a man by utilizing verbal abuse and/or by controlling social situations usually controlled by the men.

2) A woman who is so bitchin' and intelligent that most men fear openning their mouth in her presence, much less making a sexual advance.
"That ball buster of a ho didn't let me have a word in edgewise. She tore my ass up one side, and down the other"

"Woo Wee! Look at that ball bustin' honey!"

81凡人:2012/09/28(金) 09:20:40
Flapping their gums

When someone is said to be “flapping their gums” it means that he or she talks a lot about topics he or she doesn't really understand or know about. It also means to say something but not really mean it.

Frank and Joe are always flapping their gums about what it's like to be street hustlers, when they have never even been out of the burbs.

82凡人:2012/09/30(日) 04:30:05
The snipe hunt may be assigned to a target as either part of a process of hazing, in which the object is to initiate the snipe hunter into the group, or as part of a process of ostracism intended to encourage (or force) a person, perceived to be an unwanted interloper, to withdraw from the group's presence.

83凡人:2012/09/30(日) 04:33:22
A practical joke[1] (also known as a prank, gag, jape or shenanigan) is a mischievous trick or joke played on someone, typically causing the victim to experience embarrassment, indignity, or discomfort. Practical jokes differ from confidence tricks or hoaxes in that the victim finds out, or is let in on the joke, rather than being fooled into handing over money or other valuables. Practical jokes or pranks are typically lighthearted, reversible or non-permanent, and aim to make the victim feel foolish or victimized to a certain degree; however practical jokes may also involve cruelty.

The term "practical" refers to the fact that the joke consists of someone doing something physical, instead of a verbal or written joke. For example, the joker who is setting up and performing the practical joke might hang a bucket of water above a doorway and rig the bucket using pulleys so when the door opens the bucket dumps the water. The joker would then wait for the victim to walk through the doorway and be drenched by the bucket of water. Objects can also be used in practical jokes, like fake vomit, chewing gum bugs, exploding cigars, stink bombs, costumes and whoopee cushions. In Western culture, April Fools' Day[2] is a day traditionally dedicated to performing practical jokes. A person who performs a practical joke is called a practical joker.[3]

84凡人:2012/10/10(水) 05:54:01
temerity
/təˈmeritē/

Noun: Excessive confidence or boldness; audacity: "no one had the temerity to question his conclusions".

Synonyms: daring - rashness - audacity

85凡人:2012/10/10(水) 05:54:40
dereliction
/ˌderəˈlikSHən/

Noun: 1.The state of having been abandoned and become dilapidated.
2.The shameful failure to fulfill one's obligations.

Synonyms: abandonment - neglect - desertion - negligence

86凡人:2012/10/10(水) 05:55:20
Plebian
plebs (pl bz). n. pl. ple·bes (pl b z).

1. The common people of ancient Rome: the plebs and the patricians.
2. The common people; the populace.

87凡人:2012/10/11(木) 16:30:06
excoriate

/ikˈskôrēˌāt/Verb:

1.Censure or criticize severely.
2.Damage or remove part of the surface of (the skin).

Synonyms: bark - raw - skin - excorticate - flay

88凡人:2012/10/11(木) 16:31:04
demur

/diˈmər/Verb:
Raise doubts or objections or show reluctance.

Noun: The action or process of objecting to or hesitating over something.

Synonyms: verb. object - hesitate - remonstrate
noun. objection - exception - hesitation - protest

89凡人:2012/10/12(金) 12:19:11
emolument

noun /i-ˈmäl-yə-mənt/

1: the returns arising from office or employment usually in the form of compensation or perquisites
2archaic : advantage

<the annual emolument for the director of the charity is officially only one dollar>

90凡人:2012/10/12(金) 12:19:52
prescient

/ˈpreSH(ē)ənt/Adjective:

Having or showing knowledge of events before they take place.

Synonyms: foreseeing - provident

91凡人:2012/10/12(金) 12:20:43
1bray

/ˈbrā/
intransitive verb
: to utter the characteristic loud harsh cry of a donkey; also : to utter a sound like a donkey's
transitive verb
: to utter or play loudly or harshly
Origin of BRAY
Middle English, from Anglo-French braire to cry, bellow, roar, from Vulgar Latin *bragere, of Celtic origin; akin to Old Irish braigid he breaks wind
First Known Use: 14th century

2 bray
transitive verb
1: to crush or grind fine <bray seeds in a mortar>
2: to spread thin <bray printing ink>
Origin of BRAY
Middle English, from Anglo-French braier, breier, of Germanic origin; akin to Old High German brehhan to break — more at break
First Known Use: 14th century

92凡人:2012/10/12(金) 15:06:53
malarkey

/məˈl&auml;rkē/
Noun:

Meaningless talk; nonsense.

93凡人:2012/10/12(金) 18:31:09
dotage

/ˈdōtij/
Noun:

1.The period of life in which a person is old and weak: "you could live here and look after me in my dotage".
2.The state of having the intellect impaired, esp. through old age; senility.

Synonyms: senility

94凡人:2012/10/12(金) 18:31:40
bilious

/ˈbilyəs/
Adjective:

1.Affected by or associated with nausea or vomiting.
2.(of a color) Lurid or sickly.

Synonyms: biliary - choleric

95凡人:2012/10/12(金) 18:32:51
noxious

/ˈn&auml;kSHəs/
Adjective:

Harmful, poisonous, or very unpleasant: "they were overcome by the noxious fumes".

Synonyms: harmful - injurious - noisome - pernicious - mischievous

96凡人:2012/10/12(金) 18:33:18
Compendium -

A compendium (plural: compendia) is a concise, yet comprehensive compilation of a body of knowledge.

97凡人:2012/10/12(金) 18:34:34
blather

/ˈblaT͟Hər/
Verb:

Talk long-windedly without making very much sense: "she began blathering on about spirituality"; "stop your blathering".

Noun: Long-winded talk with no real substance.

Synonyms: verb. blether - chatter - babble - blah-blah
noun. blether - twaddle - gab - prattle - jive - babblement

98凡人:2012/10/13(土) 19:02:00
succor

/ˈsəkər/

Noun: Assistance and support in times of hardship and distress.
Verb: Give assistance or aid to.

Synonyms: noun. succour - aid - help - assistance - relief - support
verb. succour - assist - help - relieve - aid - support

99凡人:2012/10/15(月) 11:59:02
effusive
/iˈfyo͞osiv/

Adjective:
1.Expressing feelings of gratitude, pleasure, or approval in an unrestrained or heartfelt manner: "an effusive welcome".
2.(of igneous rock) Poured out when molten and later solidified.

Synonyms: demonstrative - expansive

100凡人:2012/10/17(水) 08:56:40
Raked over the coals

To get fussed at, or out by someone.

The child did not sweep the kitchen floor, and was raked over the coals by her mother.

101凡人:2012/10/19(金) 20:09:02
ancillary

/ˈansəˌlerē/
Adjective:

Providing necessary support to the primary activities or operation of an organization, institution, industry, or system.

Noun: A person whose work provides necessary support to the primary activities of an organization, institution, or industry.

Synonyms: subsidiary - auxiliary - subordinate - accessory

102凡人:2012/10/20(土) 21:31:37
Poppycock

1. Another word for nonsense. Or a polite way of saying something is bullshit.
2. A brand name snack food that consists of popcorn covered with caramel glaze and often has nuts such as pecans and almonds in it.

1. Pat said that aliens’ building the pyramids is poppycock.
2. Tina snuck some poppycock into the movie theater to snack on instead of buying some popcorn.

103凡人:2012/10/23(火) 11:40:13
rep&middot;ro&middot;bate

/ˈreprəˌbāt/
Noun: An unprincipled person (often used humorously or affectionately).

Adjective: Unprincipled (often used as a humorous or affectionate reproach).

Synonyms: scoundrel - villain

104凡人:2012/10/23(火) 20:16:44
remiss

/riˈmis/

Adjective: Lacking care or attention to duty; negligent.

Synonyms: negligent - careless - neglectful - slack - lax

105凡人:2012/10/24(水) 03:09:03
despondent

/diˈsp&auml;ndənt/

Adjective:

In low spirits from loss of hope or courage.

Synonyms: depressed - dejected - dispirited - crestfallen

106凡人:2012/10/24(水) 03:35:41
sequestration

/ˌsēkwiˈstrāSHən/

Noun:

1.The action of taking legal possession of assets until a debt has been paid or other claims have been met.
2.The action of taking forcible possession of something; confiscation.

107凡人:2012/10/24(水) 05:02:58
misgiving

/misˈgiviNG/

Noun:

A feeling of doubt or apprehension about the outcome or consequences of something.

Synonyms: fear - apprehension - doubt - suspicion - anxiety

108凡人:2012/10/25(木) 18:23:56
ribald

/ˈribəld/

Adjective:

Referring to sexual matters in an amusingly rude or irreverent way.

Synonyms: scurrilous - obscene - indecent - bawdy - coarse - nasty

109凡人:2012/10/26(金) 07:37:57
allude

/əˈlo͞od/

Verb: 1.Suggest or call attention to indirectly; hint at.
2.Mention without discussing at length.

Synonyms: hint - refer - intimate - suggest - imply - mention

110凡人:2012/10/26(金) 07:48:35
collude

intr.v. col&middot;lud&middot;ed, col&middot;lud&middot;ing, col&middot;ludes.

To act together secretly to achieve a fraudulent, illegal, or deceitful purpose; conspire.

111凡人:2012/10/26(金) 07:59:21
titular

/ˈtiCHələr/

Adjective:

1.Holding or constituting a purely formal position or title without any real authority: "the queen is titular head of the Church of England".
2.(of a cleric) Nominally appointed to serve a diocese, abbey, or other foundation no longer in existence, and typically in fact having...

Synonyms: nominal - titulary

112凡人:2012/10/26(金) 09:44:32
abject

/ˈabˌjekt/

Adjective:

1.(of a situation or condition) Extremely bad, unpleasant, and degrading.
2.(of an unhappy state of mind) Experienced to the maximum degree.

Synonyms: miserable - mean - vile - wretched - despicable - poor

113凡人:2012/10/27(土) 20:47:45
replete

/riˈplēt/

Adjective:

1.Filled or well-supplied with something.
2.Very full of or sated by food.

Synonyms: full - fraught - saturated

114凡人:2012/10/30(火) 16:38:06
redound

/riˈdound/

Verb:

1.Contribute greatly to (a person's credit or honor): "his latest diplomatic effort will redound to his credit".
2.Come back upon; rebound on: "may his sin redound upon his head!".

Synonyms: contribute - help

115凡人:2012/10/30(火) 16:38:44
crock

1. A broken piece of earthenware.
2. Slang Foolish talk; nonsense: That story is just a crock.

116凡人:2012/10/30(火) 16:39:20
obsequious

/əbˈsēkwēəs/

Adjective:

Obedient or attentive to an excessive or servile degree.

Synonyms: servile - subservient - slavish - menial - fawning

117凡人:2012/10/30(火) 18:28:29
diffident   /ˈdɪfɪdənt/ [dif-i-duhnt]
adjective

1. lacking confidence in one's own ability, worth, or fitness; timid; shy.
2. restrained or reserved in manner, conduct, etc.
3. Archaic . distrustful.

118凡人:2012/10/31(水) 20:58:48
rigmarole

/ˈrig(ə)məˌrōl/Noun: 1.A lengthy and complicated procedure.
2.A long, rambling story or statement.

119凡人:2012/10/31(水) 20:59:11
redound

/riˈdound/Verb: 1.Contribute greatly to (a person's credit or honor): "his latest diplomatic effort will redound to his credit".
2.Come back upon; rebound on: "may his sin redound upon his head!".

Synonyms: contribute - help

120凡人:2012/10/31(水) 20:59:54
schlub

/SHləb/Noun: A talentless, unattractive, or boorish person.

121凡人:2012/11/01(木) 03:36:54
purport

/pərˈp&ocirc;rt/Verb:

Appear or claim to be or do something, esp. falsely; profess.

Noun: The meaning or substance of something, typically a document or speech.

Synonyms: verb. mean - signify - claim - imply - intend
noun. meaning - import - sense - tenor - significance

122凡人:2012/11/01(木) 03:37:27
indignation

/ˌindigˈnāSHən/Noun:

Anger or annoyance provoked by what is perceived as unfair treatment.

Synonyms: resentment - wrath - anger - exasperation

123凡人:2012/11/01(木) 16:52:30
cop a squat

Meaning to have a seat.

"Cop a squat right here sir."
"What?"
"Sit your ass down."
"O.K."

124凡人:2012/11/01(木) 19:34:42
excoriate

/ikˈsk&ocirc;rēˌāt/Verb: 1.Censure or criticize severely.
2.Damage or remove part of the surface of (the skin).

Synonyms: bark - raw - skin - excorticate - flay

125凡人:2012/11/04(日) 17:58:36
Flay

to strip off the skin or surface of : skin. 2. : to criticize harshly : excoriate. 3. : lash 1b <the wind whipped up to gale fury, flaying his face — Richard Kent> ...

facetious

/fəˈsēSHəs/Adjective: Treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.

Synonyms: jocose - humorous - jocular - waggish - comic - funny

126凡人:2012/11/04(日) 17:59:17
head fake

The price of equities increase, and all indications prior to that are that it will increase, but shortly after reverses direction and lowers.

"Sept 28th was a major head fake, equities fell substantially the remaining month."

127凡人:2012/11/05(月) 19:57:30
attenuate

Verb:
1.Reduce the force, effect, or value of: "her intolerance was attenuated by an unexpected liberalism".
2.Reduce the amplitude of (a signal, electric current, or other oscillation).

Synonyms: dilute - weaken - thin - reduce - extenuate - rarefy

128凡人:2012/11/05(月) 19:58:17
caper

Slang An illegal plot or enterprise, especially one involving theft.

intr.v. ca&middot;pered, ca&middot;per&middot;ing, ca&middot;pers.
To leap or frisk about; frolic.

129凡人:2012/11/06(火) 00:49:11
apoplectic

/ˌapəˈplektik/Adjective:

1.Overcome with anger; extremely indignant.
2.Relating to or denoting apoplexy (stroke): "an apoplectic attack".

130凡人:2012/11/06(火) 08:25:20
untoward

/nˈt&ocirc;rd/Adjective: Unexpected and inappropriate or inconvenient: "untoward jokes".

Synonyms: unfavourable - unfavorable - unlucky - unfortunate

131凡人:2012/11/06(火) 08:25:48
Erudition

extensive knowledge acquired chiefly from books : profound, recondite, or bookish learning.

132凡人:2012/11/07(水) 13:58:11
dryballs

Of poor or questionable quality.
"Greg's joke just now was so damn dryballs."

133凡人:2012/11/07(水) 13:58:40
perfunctory

/pərˈfəNGktərē/Adjective: (of an action or gesture) Carried out with a minimum of effort or reflection.

Synonyms: superficial - cursory - shallow - skin-deep - sketchy

134凡人:2012/11/07(水) 14:00:54
Dummkopf

Dummkopf (doom-cough)- language from germany means idiot, stupid, retarded.

"man jimmy your such a Dummkopf!."

新着レスの表示

名前: E-mail(省略可)

※書き込む際の注意事項はこちら

※画像アップローダーはこちら

(画像を表示できるのは「画像リンクのサムネイル表示」がオンの掲示板に限ります)

掲示板管理者へ連絡 無料レンタル掲示板